The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4003 registered users. Our newest member is tomejohn.
Online members: t_catt11, Eol Fefalas
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by t_catt11)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Dungeons and Dragons - The Corruption Hidden Beneath the Surface... (posted by t_catt11)Hidden Corruption
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Trilogy War
Parent thread: Trilogy War Q/A
Related thread:
Related thread: Trilogy recruiting once more
Related thread: The Dozing Dragon Inn - A Trilogy Companion Thread
Related thread: 14 years of Trilogy
GM for this game: TannTalas
Players for this game: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Odyson, dragon-soul92
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in The Trilogy War
RDI T-shirts!

Proof of Daddy's Charisma Onesie
Price: $15.50



RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Good Mens
Price: $14.00

Lyskhala
Kohai
Karma: 80/28
3600 Posts


holy entrapment batman!

In the suffocating darkness, the meager glow of 3 torches was the only existing light.

The group ventured into the dreary space one by one. A life size statue stood in the center of the room barely illuminated by the soft amber radiance of the torches. Althena squinted as she entered the mysterious area. Dust particles, sparkling like glitter, danced around the open flames as the group carefully moved into the room. An ancient mustiness filled her nostrils and goose bumps began to rise on her arms. Once they were all inside, the torches flared furiously, revealing what was left of the lifeless figure's wholeness. Startled by the abruptness of the blaze and the eerie, half face of the stone image, Althena flinched as she instinctively grasped the newly acquired Vorpal. Looking around, she realized the others had been caught off guard as well and she didn’t feel so weak. Someone yelled the door was gone. Gathering herself, she moved to the walls of the cave –like space and began patting the wall where the door once was. There was no opening, no trace of one ever being there. “There’s no way out “ she said as she moved around the room continuing to touch the stone walls much like a blind man would to find his way. After a moment or two she realized they would not be leaving this place the same way they came in. She turned to face the others…”it seems we are trapped”


Posted on 2008-07-21 at 19:35:02.
Edited on 2008-07-21 at 19:36:34 by Lyskhala

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2230 Posts


When is a trap not really a trap

"Yes we are indeed trapped at the moment but do not forget that this is but a test and so there is an ingrained way out. We simply need to find it so we are not really trapped; just momentarilly delayed."


Posted on 2008-07-22 at 02:49:58.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil

No door?

Trapped?

That is not what Cynil wanted to hear, she crowded close to whoever was closest to her, in this case Conall. She peered closer to the words and her brow wrinkled in thought.

"First of all, she said to no one on particular, "we do not want to get away, but go on, and if we have to do something with the handles in his belly to reveal the secret door, then we need to ask it what is the order of turning the handles to open the door to the 2nd test."



Posted on 2008-07-22 at 03:24:47.
Edited on 2008-07-22 at 05:14:15 by Dragon Mistress

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Puzzlement...

As Kenji moved down the passage just a few feet behind Ulthok and Divot who checked the way for any sinister traps. The Samurai stayed close enough so that if there was trouble he would be able to leap in to protect the lesser armored ones in front.

When they came to another door and it began to rhyme to them he sighed; another puzzle perhaps, he thought. After Ulthok pronounced the door clear and Divot opened it; Kenji moved up and entered the new chamber on guard with his hand on the hilt of his katana.

They found only a decaying stone statue with wooden handle around it’s middle. Reading the strange message on the statue:

“Ask a question a day but you will never get away.”
Kenji sighed once more, yep a puzzle. The Samurai hated such things. He was never a really bright person, he was a warrior and while he was a good one he would never be a General or a great leader of men. He knew where his strength lay and it wasn’t in solving riddles or puzzles. Besides, he was still trying to grasp all the subtle intricacies of this language and as he had listened to the strange words which they heard in the hall he had gleamed nothing useful from them.

“I know nothing of such things,” he mumbled almost to himself as the others gathered around the statue and began to talk of what it could all mean. As he listened to them speak, he moved about the room looking for any other clues. He went to the unlit torches and began to light them one at a time till all three were blazing. Then he took one torch down and started to walk around looking at all of the walls for anything out of the ordinary. He didn’t think he could help with the puzzle, but he might find something else that was useful in here if it existed.


(DM'S EDIT: YeOlde the 3 torches flared to life once everyone was in the room so there was no need to light them as you posted above.)


Posted on 2008-07-25 at 01:52:36.
Edited on 2008-07-25 at 03:31:31 by TannTalas

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2230 Posts


who knows

Cor heard Kenji mutter something about "not knowing anything about..." but he didn't catch the end of it. Assuming the warrior was professing to be of no use in solving the puzzle at hand, Cor moved towards him. "Kenji, do not believe you cannot help in this matter. None of us know the answer else we would have already solved the puzzle. The answer does not always come from those who believe themselves capable but often from those who have doubts. You may find that your unique way of looking at things could hold the key to unlocking the riddle."


Posted on 2008-07-25 at 13:25:27.
Edited on 2008-07-25 at 13:25:41 by Keeper of Dragons

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Ponderings...

Cor moved towards him. "Kenji, do not believe you cannot help in this matter. None of us know the answer else we would have already solved the puzzle. The answer does not always come from those who believe themselves capable but often from those who have doubts. You may find that your unique way of looking at things could hold the key to unlocking the riddle."
With one of the ‘already’ lit torches in his hand, Kenji turned to Cor as he walked up and spoke to him about how he could still help in unlocking the riddle. Kenji grunted slightly, a habit he seemed to have when contemplating something.

“As a warrior,” Kenji began, “I am quite good.. but in matters where things require great thought, or planning, I must admit I fall well short of most. Battle planning is one thing but this..” He gestured to the statue with the torch, “.. I am not sure what I can add. I will however ponder the problem and if anything comes to mind I will voice them openly.”

With a slight bow to Cor, Kenji turned back to examining the rest of the chamber, every wall or shadowed corner. Maybe he could find something that might aid them in solving the puzzle and while he searched he also ran through the words that were spoken to them in the hallway trying to ascertain any possible clues.



Posted on 2008-07-25 at 15:27:54.

Reralae
Dreamer of Bladesong
Karma: 135/12
2295 Posts


A thought...

"Wait..." Haila murmurs, "If it's 'hidden from the light' does that mean that first we have to put out the torches in order to find what we're looking for?"

You know, I think we should have a nap. Niamedris thinks.

Do you have any suggestions on this? Haila returns, although she doesn't hold her hopes high.

Sleep on it? Niamedris suggests.

That's what I thought you'd say... Haila thinks, rolling her eyes for the umpteenth time.


Posted on 2008-07-28 at 00:57:28.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil


The Druidess listened and pondered the words of those offering suggestions.

"Haila, I think the Hidden from the light refers to the sword, and since the torches flare from room to room, it could be the sword is within an area of darkness.

Other than that we had this stature with handles and the message over them. I was wondering if the number of the lettes in each word, indicated the number of the handle that needed to be turned.


Posted on 2008-07-28 at 01:28:22.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


A good look around.

They all read the words found on the door and Ulthok puts them into memory for he is sure they will somehow be needed latter after checking the wooden that was now in front of them and declaring it safe Divot opens it and they all move into the next room . A circular room with nothing in it save three torches which flare to life upon their entering and a now somewhat decriped statue with 10 wooden handles around it's waist like a weird belt.

Once they are all in the room the only door they could see promptly vanishes leaving them in a room with no apparent exits. Knowing that they are going to be confronted with ten puzzles or traps or whatever Ulthok doesn't panic but precedes to go about his job as best he knows how.

He approaches the statue and first reads the writing that is above the handles
“ASK A QUESTION ONCE A DAY
BUT YOU'LL NEVER GET AWAY”
As he and the others ponder this new clue he sets about examining the statue and the handles using all of his skills as a thief. First he checks all the handles one at a time looking for anything that might help solve this puzzle along with of course making sure all where safe to touch and there where no apparent traps. He also does the same to the statue also keeping an eye out for any type of trigger mechanisms that may open a hidden panel or something on, in, or around the statue. Once finished he gives the group his findings.
Well I hate to say it but there is not much here of any help every one of these handles appears to be exactly the same in size, color, and description. Also although they do appear to be handles they do not move, but clearly have hand grips. The statue also appears unremarkable with no apparent traps, hidden panels, or doors of any nature. Not much help so it seems that our answer must come from the writings we have read. Maybe we should just start throwing ideas about what we think the meaning of the messages are so one of us may catch something we at first do not see.

So he once again goes over the first message on the outer door and one part makes him curious, and it goes Is it real or is it false, a mirror image I don't know if we should try to take the messages as a whole or if there are just parts that hold meaning for us but this part about a mirror image makes me curious would someone like to come over here and take a look at this with me just see what may happen.
Ulthok proceeds to remove his mirror from his pack and then goes up to the writing above the handles and holds the mirror so they can see the writing in the mirror


with that he looks at the image to see if it invokes any ideas for him or anyone else in the party.


Posted on 2008-07-28 at 12:39:54.
Edited on 2008-07-28 at 13:07:33 by Dragonmist

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne

Cynil, it is too early to shoot down anyone's idea. As Cor said, Ww all have idea and we should all listen to each other so that we have a chance to discover the truth. Though I agree with you Cynil that we don't want to get away we want to get to the next test.

"After listening to several of you, I have several of ideas to run past you all. The first is douse the torches and see if the way from here will appear in the darkness. Malius and I as elves can sometimes sense such things just by passing near them."

"The other idea I had was about the handles. We need to forget where we are and the riddles and the message on the statue. even the statue itself. If you saw handle on something what are they usually used for?"

"Remember this is something that one person should be able to do for themselves. That is what I think Althena's father was saying to her. which now leads my last thought"

"This is thought of my own. The message n the statue says ask ad question once a day, but you will never get away. What about telling it to open the way to Test Two. Not asking but demanding. The rest of this stuff is just misdirects our energies and thoughts. Rayne contemplates what she just said for a moment and then adds. I would suggest we all hold onto one of those handles when we make that command. That statue may well be a portal or teleportation device.

Before we ask any question I say we try these at least and any other ideas we have come up with. Each of us share our thoughts together. We are an army. Lady Althena's army of friends. We will use our strengths and bolster each others weaknesses. That is how we will prevail." Rayne offers encouragingly.

"What do we try first."


(DM's Edit: Ahh Bri, Malius?? )


Posted on 2008-07-30 at 05:55:47.
Edited on 2008-07-30 at 16:44:55 by TannTalas

Kyle
Epic Level Bard
Karma: 31/3
557 Posts


My thinking spot.

Conall looked at the words in the mirror as did others, “No door? No key? There is a door, it has not yet been seen by any of us. There is a key, we all carry it.” Conall points to his head, “It is up here and our voice is the chain we keep it on.” Conall then shrugs his shoulders, “No this will not be a tomb.” Conall then put himself up against a close wall and slid down until his butt hit the floor, “I have no mind for such games but I will think.”


Posted on 2008-08-03 at 01:15:19.
Edited on 2008-08-03 at 01:16:32 by Kyle

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/117
6404 Posts


A Party in Thought

With the room fully searched and nothing extra found it came down to solving the riddle before them.

“ASK A QUESTION ONCE A DAY
BUT YOU”LL NEVER GET AWAY”

Ulthok showed the writing as it would look backwards, Haila both thought that the words spoken from the Magic Mouth before the door and perhaps the letters themselves were each a clue. While Cor and Kenji spoke of what was considered helpful, Cor about asking the question, Kenji about standing ready to fight. Conall speaking on the complexities yet the simple ness of the room’s test sat back ready to think. As the others gazed upon the statue and its handles, Rayne was the first to speak of taking hold of the handles themselves.

"This is thought of my own. The message on the statue says ask a question once a day, but you will never get away. What about telling it to open the way to Test Two. Not asking but demanding. The rest of this stuff is just misdirecting our energies and thoughts.”

Rayne contemplates what she just said for a moment and then adds.

“I would suggest we all hold onto one of those handles when we make that command. That statue may well be a portal or teleportation device.”

With her idea posed to all it was to no one’s surprise when Divot stepped forward and volunteered to be the one to grab the handles before them. The only thing it seemed the party now had to decide was should the handles be gripped, if grabbed who would be the one to do so, and if successful what question to ask.

(OOC: OK it is with the greatest of sadness that I announce that Eol has decided to drop Trilogy due to RL and his busy upcoming schedule as not to hold up the game. After thinking about it the whole week, I have decided to once again try to recruit a new player and will be posting a recruitment thread yet again. ~sigh~
Well as norm N.P.N.S)


Posted on 2008-08-03 at 01:39:04.

Reralae
Dreamer of Bladesong
Karma: 135/12
2295 Posts


A thought?

"Althena, I think you should be the one to say the actual demand; you were the one to open the two doors before, so I think you're probably the key again this time." Haila thinks aloud, before picking up Niamedris in preparation for whatever was to come.

You know, I'd prefer all of my paws to be on something solid. Niamedris thinks as he examines his dangling legs, with Haila holding him up by the torso.

Perhaps you would, but I don't like it when you suddenly leap from my arms, scratching me in the process, when I hold you that way. Haila returns.

Well, it's not my fault that I tend to see a mouse or other fast thing from such a wonderful vantage point. Niamedris says.

... you like sounding all important don't you? Haila thinks quietly, unwittingly within Niamedris' telepathic 'hearing'.

Just sounding all important? I am the epitome of all importance. Niamedris returns, swatting Haila with a flick of his tail.

Haila walks forward as Divot does, "I'd rather not have to carry this heavy cat for more than I have to..." she murmurs almost as an explanation.

Yet, despite the two bickering with one another, Niamedris and Haila both know each other well enough to not take the other seriously... or at least Haila does.


Posted on 2008-08-07 at 20:56:57.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2230 Posts


well it is your life

Cor heard Divot volunteer to grab the handles and was not really surprised. "Well lad, it is your life. Of course tempting fate twice in less than a day is not necessarily are good idea."

Moments later he caught a comment about not wanting to carry a cat. Cor laughed, "My grandmother always said cats were much lighter and easier to carry once you made them into a hat. Of course she also said that I would make a fine cooper. Imagine me making barrels all day. Grandma said a lot of things; most of which didn;t come to pass." Cor reached into his pack and dug out a small piece of dried fish and offered it to the cat. "Perhaps this will give you something to take your mind off the indignity of being carried my fuzzy friend."


Posted on 2008-08-08 at 03:03:26.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne's Idea for the Question

I think we should all hold on to the handles on the statue, at the same time . I would not want anyone left behind if this thihng is a transportation device.

TO my mind if we ask the question, "If we command you to take us all to the second test can you and will you do so?" will give us the information we need OR we could ask what happens if we ask two questions.

No, I like the first better. IT gives us smore useful information. Althena father made this so she could get through it. so there is a way.


Posted on 2008-08-08 at 04:24:13.
Edited on 2008-08-08 at 04:27:56 by Brianna

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.